Discover Antigua’s hidden gems and visit an ultrabaroque style church, Las Sirenas fountain, historical surrounding villages and more!
- Adult Ages 10+
- Child Ages 2-10
Visit One of the Largest & Most Colorful Markets in Latin America!
You will be picked up at your hotel in Guatemala City and transferred to Chichicastenango. You’ll be provided with a brief summary of what to expect on your way.
We go to the west of the country where most of the indigenous villages of Guatemala are concentrated. On the way to our destination, we start in a wooded area surrounded by pine trees and other tree species. Continuing our journey, we see a valley where a variety of vegetables are grown, as well as fruits and vegetables grown by local people.
Upon our arrival at the market, we start our walking tour inside. It is the center of the city and at the heart of commercial life of “maxeños” (name given to the indigenous people of Chichicastenango, derived from Max which means Tomás in the Quiché language). The merchants descend every Thursday and Sunday to the central square to sell their products in this impressive indigenous market that has changed very little over the centuries.
We observe the colorful handicrafts handmade by local inhabitants of the region as well as various merchandise such as clay crafts, typical textiles, fruits, vegetables, meats and seafood, flowers, and regional costumes.
We also visit Santo Tomás Church, built in 1540 on the basis of a pre-Hispanic archaeological temple. This church is a splendid example of colonial architecture, as the Maya and Latin influences mix both inside and outside of the church. After exploring the market you can enjoy a delicious lunch (not included).
At the end of our walk, we continue to the town of Panajachel, which is located on Lake Atitlan. We visit Calle Santander and enjoy a spectacular view of the lake which is considered one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. Three spectacular volcanoes, Tolimán, Atitlán and San Pedro form the natural framework of the lake itself. Time to take pictures!
At the end of our tour, we return to your hotel in either Guatemala City.
- Hotel pick-up & drop-off ( Pre selected hotels)
- Local guide
- Transportation by air-conditioned coach, van or minivan
- Meal not included (please bring lunch with you)(optional add-on)
- Minimum of 2 passengers (adults) is required for the tour to run. If the minimum size is not reached, the tour is subject to cancellation and all tickets are refunded or rescheduled.
- If you are lodging in Zone 1, our only pick-up point is at the Hotel Panamerican.
- If you are lodging in an airbnb please move to the nearest hotel lobby and please let us know of its name.