Explore Yaxha, the third-largest ruin in Guatemala. It is a Mesoamerican archeological site located in the northeast of the Petén Basin.
- Adult Ages 10+
Explore Archaeological Sites of Maya Civilizations
Tikal It is one of the largest archaeological sites and urban centers of the pre-Columbian Maya civilization. It is located in the archaeological region of the Petén Basin in what is now northern Guatemala.
Pick-up at the meeting point in Flores and transfer to Tikal archaeological site.
During this tour you will have the opportunity to walk through the jungle and admire the many species of local flora and fauna. Here, discover the impressive splendor of Tikal, which means “place of voices”. The park, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1979, spans 576km squared.
In addition to the main temples and plazas, there are several sites not to miss. The Major Plaza of the Archaeological Park of Tikal, surrounded by impressive buildings such as Temples I and II, called the North and Central Acropolis. Also, there is a range of wakes and altars that play a part of the dynamic history of the Mayan Civilization in Tikal.
The Temple of the Grand Jaguar (Temple I) and the Temple of the Masks (Temple II) loom like a pair of colossal bookends on opposite sides of the Great Plaza, a vast expanse ringed by terraces, palaces and ball courts.
Temple I rises some 50 meters above the plaza’s eastern end. A stone stairway leads up the pyramid’s nine tiers, corresponding to the nine levels of the Mayan underworld.
The central part of the ancient city alone contains 3,000 buildings and covers about 16 square kilometers.
Tikal is also part of the one-million-hectare Maya Biosphere Reserve created in 1990 to protect the dense forests of the Petén.At the end of the tour a traditional lunch will be served.
In the afternoon, you will be transferred back to Flores.
- Local guide
- Entrance to Archaeological Site
- Departure taxes
- If you are lodging at a hotel on the Island of Flores, please be requested to move to our meeting point (Hotel Ramada, Calle playa sur, Isla de Flores Peten) to be picked up for your excursion. Our tour guide or driver pick up you around 07:45 hours please be sure to be at that time at the indicated place.
- Please wear walking/hiking boots as we will be walking 3-4 hours, often in wet weather. Sorry, no wheelchair access.
- Tours include bilingual guide (English and Spanish).
- Please bring hat, sunglasses, sunblock, camera, bug repellent, thin pants, rain gear, long sleeve t-shirts. personal medication, & passport (passport is required).